Moby Thesaurusaffair, article, artifact, concern, dingus, dofunny, dohickey, dojigger, dojiggy, domajig, domajigger, doodad, dowhacky, eppes, etwas, flumadiddle, gadget, gigamaree, gimmick, gizmo, hickey, hootenanny, hootmalalie, jigger, material thing, object, quelque chose, something, thing, thingum, thingumabob, thingumadad, thingumadoodle, thingumajig, thingumajigger, thingumaree, thingummy, whatchy
EtymologyBlend of window and gadget, coined by George S. Kaufman in his play Beggar on Horseback (1924).
- Rhymes: -ɪdʒɪt
- An unnamed, unspecified, or hypothetical manufactured good or product.
- A component of a graphical user interface that the user interacts with.
- A floating widget or other device inside a beer can, meant to create foam when opened
- A small scraping tool consisting of a blade and a handle, commonly used to remove paint from glass and other smooth surfaces
- The child of a gremlin (Roald Dahl - The Gremlins)
- An object of fiction or obfuscation (Gigawidget)
component of a graphical user interface that the user interacts with
- Finnish: widgetti (colloquial)
floating widget or other device inside a beer can
small scraping tool
- Spanish: espátula
Widget may refer to:
- Widget (economics), a placeholder name for an object or, more specifically, a mechanical or other manufactured device
- Widget (beer), a coil-like device placed in the bottom of cans and bottles of beer to aid in the generation of froth
- Widget (comics), a character in Marvel Comics
- Widget (TV series), a 1990s animated television series
- Widget (law), an imaginary unit or thing used to demonstrate a point or concept; commonly used in law school materials and lectures
- New York World Journal Tribune, a defunct newspaper
In computing, the term has become frequently used to refer to objects on a computer screen the user interacts with:
- GUI widget, a component of a graphical user interface with which a user interacts.
- Widget toolkit, a software library containing a collection of GUI widgets that collaborate when used in the construction of applications.
- Widget engine, a software system for physically-inspired applets, third party items that can be embedded in a frame. These can be categorized as Web widgets, Desktop widgets and Mobile widgets as they can be embedded in a web page, desktop background, or a mobile phone respectively.
widget in German: Widget (Begriffsklärung)
widget in French: Widget
widget in Korean: 위젯
widget in Japanese: ウィジェット
widget in Ukrainian: Віджет (значеня)